Search for content, post, videos

MUKHERJEE | Where’d the Winter Go?

Gloomy gray skies, thick blankets of white snow and slippery roads — this description of Ithaca winters was reiterated to me multiple times before I stepped on the plane headed to Cornell. In fact, the entire winter break, I spent half my time getting mentally prepared to come back to a cold land where my best friends would be a coat, gloves and cap. So you can imagine my surprise when I came back to Ithaca and saw green grass, clear blue skies and a temperature close to the fifties.

However, I’m not complaining! I come from a tropical country and one of the few things I was dreading about going here was the harsh winter that I would have to face here. Luckily (thank you El Nino!), I have been spared my first winter here and I get to slowly acclimatize to the cold that will soon follow.

On the other hand, I do feel a bit cheated. I had a huge list of things to do when the snow collected such as building a snow man and having a snow ball fight of epic proportions and making a snow angel. Of course, all of this would be done to the tunes of “Do You Want to Build a Snow Man?” and “Let It Go” because, let’s be real, the Frozen soundtrack was made for this purpose. I just feel that I’ve been deprived of the opportunity to make my Disney dreams come true.

At the same time, it’s strangely wonderful to see Ithaca in a different light. The soft sunshine illuminates the beautiful campus in an entirely new light. Taking a stroll and exploring new parts of campus has been easier. For example, the first day I got back, my friend and I decided to take a walk around Beebe Lake and we saw the lake’s new winter cover. Some parts of it were frozen and all we could see was a sheet of ice sprinkled with clumps of soft white snow, sitting alongside rapidly moving waters that still hadn’t frozen in parts of the lake. It’s a rare sight to be able to see the different sides of nature sitting right beside each other — a sight that is only possible because of the milder winter!

All in all, it’s good to be back and enjoying the weather outside without feeling like I could turn into a living, walking snowman at any instant. There’s no need to worry about the cold too much, as classes have already found a way of bringing the heat back and the pressure up. Until next time, bulk up, drink up and stay warm!

Please Enter Your Facebook App ID. Required for FB Comments. Click here for FB Comments Settings page