Search for content, post, videos

AUDACIOUS | How to Ithaca: A Californian’s Guide to Winter

By SUTHESHNA MANI

So October 18th on Sunday morning I wake up, put on a nice sweat shirt and mosey outside and all of sudden…

giphy

Why is there cocaine coming out from the sky?

giphy-1

On a side note, October 18th was the day, ladies and gentlemen, that I first saw snow coming out from the sky. I have seen snow on the ground from occasional family vacations to the snowy parts of our country, but never have I seen it sprinkle Rice Krispies from the sky.

If you are from somewhere like my home, the lowest you have seen the thermometer go is 65 degrees Fahrenheit. I am not kidding. Scarves and beanies are merely cute fall accessories, and we are literally the state to hallmark the beautiful PR campaign that is Pumpkin Spice Lattes and Sweater Weather. Here it’s more like layered blizzard weather. But, if you want to make the most out of your winter as a native Cali kid, you have to really enjoy the winter here.

Tip #1: If it’s snowing, don’t wear gloves. You want your fingers to become icicles, because icicles are beautiful and it’s totally a great Instagram moment for you to document to all your West Coast friends.

#caligirl #eastcoast #icicles #beautiful

Tip #2: I was kidding about tip one. I thought sarcasm would be a great way to ease your concerns, but it’s about to get grim real soon. So Tip #2: Laugh at Tip #1, loosen up, be positive and take notes. Please.

Tip #3: Before you leave, wear a flannel shirt underneath and then a sweater. Bring an extra jacket in case, because after you are struck with the blistering cold, you will get sweaty real soon, so you need to be able to shed some layers once you get indoors.

Tip #4: BRING CHAPSTICK.

Tip #5: Buy a huge thing of Vaseline. I am so serious. You will dry up like prune, and if you are of a darker skin tone like I am, this does not look pretty. Ashy city, man.

giphy-2

If all else fails, we can convene in our Californian corner and sunshine and make each other warm in a nice circle. We comfort each other with the prospect that this winter is ephemeral, we don’t live in Ithaca and we can go back home to amazing weather, beautiful beaches.

Winter is coming my friends. And it’s not all sunshine and Cali beaches.

Good luck, my fellow Californians, and STAY WARM.

All gifs courtesy of giphy.com.

Sutheshna Mani is a junior in the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences. She was born in the snowy city of Baltimore, Maryland, and then her parents moved all the way to sunny San Diego when she was four (thank goodness for that). She loves to sing, dance, write and act; you will always hear her singing a tune. She is also a socially consciousness sleep-a-holic so that’s why you never see her smile: because she is either tired or impassioned. In her spare time she likes to stress about inane things and eat a lot of cookies. Audacious appears on alternate Fridays this semester. Sutheshna can be reached at sm2546@cornell.edu.

16 comments

• Good article. Keep it up!

• I am sure this paragrapph has touched alll the internet visitors,
    its really redally nice paragraph on bbuilding up new webpage.

• I’m impressed, I have to admit. Seldom do I encounter a blog that’s equally educative and entertaining, and
    let me tell you, you have hit the nail on the head. The issue is something
    that not enough folks are speaking intelligently about.
    I am very happy I found this in my search for something regarding this.

• We think the best position for the highest-value tile should be
    in the middle of the bottom line. eval(ez_write_tag([[300,250],’gameyum_com-medrectangle-1′]));.
    The poker is the most searched game by users in the internet.

• Hi there to all, how is the whole thing, I think every one is getting
    more from this site, and your views are nice in support
    of new visitors.

• I was suggested this blog via my cousin. I’m not certain whether or
    not this publish is written through him as no one else realize such specific about my difficulty.

You’re incredible! Thank you!

• Internet on this popular Jordan aura Bakin near recently presented all GS version of the revolutionary
    colours, shoes having african american is provided
    with priority in order to, to-do their decoration about purple.
    The design on token completely no: 316759-316759.

• I go to see each day a few sites and websites to read articles, except this blog provides feature
    based posts.

• These retro style arcade CSR Racing 2 Hack offer old-school CSR Racing
    2 Hack like Pac-man and Tetris that are famous for their addictive CSR Racing 2 Hackplay, something that is timeless.
    Your history is kept on file so you can see everything you
    have purchased and either relive the joy. Generally, they could be distributed along a spectrum anywhere between hardcore simulations, and
    less difficult arcade racing CSR Racing 2 Hack.

• Hello to all, the contents existing at this web page are in fact awesome for people
    experience, well, keep up the good work fellows.

• Parents are inspiring their children to take some fun activities in order to boost
    their creativity. Carried in by his father, the infant wriggled his arms and legs while putting his teeth on full display.
    ” Today, with an understanding of astrology it all makes so much sense now. You cherish those yearly pictures of your little girl in her new Easter dress, chocolate smeared across her lips. From that, the 35-year-old actress has been rumored to be expecting her third child with hubby Jim Toth because Reese Witherspoon was seen to grow bigger. Lest there be a misconception, the Catholic Archdiocese of Pampanga does not encourage the actual nailing on the cross or the self-infliction of real wounds on the flagellants’ bare backs. One thing you can do to make it more inviting is to push the table to the back of your space.

• I every time spent my half an hour to read this web site’s articles every day allong with
    a muug of coffee.

• I’ve been surfing on-line more than three hours lately,
    but I by no means discovered any interesting article like yours.

It is beautiful price sufficient for me. In my opinion, if all
    website owners and bloggers made excellent content material as you probably did,
    the internet will be much more helpful than ever before.

• What’s up to all, it’s genuinely a nice for me too visit this site, it contains
    valuable Information.

• I feel this is one oof the such a lot vital info for me.
    And i’m goad readong your article. However should observation on some basic
    issues, The site style is wonderful, the articles is actually excellrnt : D.

Good task, cheers

• Great info. Lucky me I recently found your blog by chance (stumbleupon).
    I have book-marked it for later!