CHOU | What the Pineapple!

By VICKY CHOU

Two weeks ago, I blogged about how I was distracted from my studies because of the drama that I was watching. Today, I am going to blog about how I am – again – distracted from my studies, but this time because of a certain YouTube channel a K-pop idol created.

Sometime over the summer, f(x)’s Amber announced that she was launching her own YouTube channel, namely What The Pineapple!, in which she and her friend Scott would vlog about pretty much anything they felt like. When the news about this first came out, I, honestly speaking, ignored it because I didn’t think it would be anything special. Good thing one of my friends from high school sent me a link to one of their videos last week, because Amber and her friends are hilarious.

So far, Amber, Scott and some of her other friends have tried eating Korean foods that they do not usually eat (including raw octopus, spoon worm and silkworm), playing various games like Bean Boozled and the Whisper Challenge and making Amber’s coworkers try certain American snacks such as Salt and Vinegar Chips and Xxtra Hot Cheetos. And just in case you guys didn’t know, Amber is an American-born Taiwanese (like me, haha) so her videos are all in English.

My favorite video as of yet has been the Watermelon Challenge; Amber and Scott invited Eric Nam, who is also a singer in Korea, and three other friends to see which team of three could crack open a watermelon without any utensils and eat more than the opposing team in five minutes. Personally, I think the funniest part of the video is not actually the game but the things that Amber and her friends say. When both teams finally crack open their watermelons with their elbows and begin eating, one of Amber’s friends says, “I cannot wait till all of the seeds come out of me.” And when Amber’s dog Jack Jack comes along as if he wants to eat some of the watermelon himself, Amber tells Jack Jack to “go home” in Chinese. This cracks Eric up, who then amusedly asks her, “Your dog speaks Chinese? You taught your dog Chinese?” which consequently cracked me and a bunch of other fans, up – yes, I read the comments that other fans post on the videos. If this doesn’t sound funny to you, try watching it yourself because I have a tendency to ruin the humor in many jokes.

Aside from how funny Amber, Scott and her other friends are, I also really enjoy watching their videos because I love seeing the interaction between Amber and Scott. And I’m not even going to lie and say that I don’t ship the two, because I do. I may sound delusional, but I know I am not the only one. In fact, in one of their Q&A videos, Scott accidentally said, “Ever since I da – uh, ever since I uh kinda met her…” implying that they either dated or are still dating. Of course, whether or not they are actually dating is none of my business, but I would definitely support them if they are.

And with that, I would like to recommend one of Amber’s solo songs that she took part in writing the lyrics for, “Beautiful.” Because of the way Amber dresses, many people see her as a tomboy and sometimes forget that she, too, is actually a girl and undergoes the same feelings and experiences that any girl would. Through the lyrics of “Beautiful,” she tells herself and many fans that she is happy to be herself and that there is no reason for her, or anyone, to change who they are because of the criticisms that others may give.

Vicky Chou is a freshman in the College of Arts and Sciences. She is a self-proclaimed EXO-L despite initially despising the overratedness that is EXO, and hopes to become famous one day so she can meet various K-pop idols outside of her dreams. She is afraid of trying new things and thus tends to only order a mocha frappuccino at Libe Cafe. Vicky’s blog appears on alternate Mondays this semester, and she can be reached at [email protected].