Search for content, post, videos

The Village Idiot | Fortnite as an Analogy for Our Worsening Environment: An Over-Analysis

-2

Now of course I consider myself to be of sophisticated taste, but there comes a time when the cultural fascinations of the heathen masses cannot be ignored.

I heard about Fortnite only a short time ago from my more vulgar acquaintances, and scoffed at their willingness to delight their Freudian death drives. However, the trend grew quickly, and I realized that this proletarian trend could not be ignored. I soon found myself inebriated and entering the fray.

I have never felt such exhilaration! Slashing, building, hiding, and shooting, I quickly realized how elitist I had been in my preconception. What’s more, I realized the true purpose of Fortnite – it is the most visceral environmental propaganda ever conceived.

It is well known that our generation has built mental walls to guard from the endless bombardment of political stimuli,much like the forts which expert Fortnite players build to gain a tactical advantage. The makers of Fortnite certainly recognized this, and developed a strategy to subconsciously persuade today’s youth about the dangers of climate change.

Consider the basic premise of “Battle Royale”: An unstoppable Storm is growing in size, and a small group of warriors is retreating to the last plot of unconquered land.

First, the Storm itself. Unlike the storms of the base game, the one in “Battle Royale” is much more compelling in its ambiguity; it is not really clear what the exact nature of the Storm is. An alien invasion, the end of days predicted in Revelations, and Ragnarok are all possibilities. I think for many of us it is hard to wrap our heads around the reality of our changing climate, and we are stuck with this vague notion of impending doom. We are not entirely sure what the future holds, and so we tend to compartmentalize the problem.

I speak only for myself when I say that my attitude towards the issue of our environment flip-flops between a complete lack of fucks given and an occasional feeling of complete and utter hopelessness. This is echoed in Fortnite’s gameplay. One moment you are chilling in Pleasant Park, the next you’re high-tailing it to the Tilted Towers – another forced emigrant of the Storm’s slow onslaught. And just like in real life, the more fortunate players lay waiting to take advantage of those forced to move.

Look, we are working with tools and infrastructure we did not create – from Tomato Town to Anarchy Acres. And though the problem was given to us by past generations, who’s to say that we cannot be the generation to say “fuck it” to this imposed individualism, and instead gather in the middle of Loot Lake and sing Kumbaya?

I’m not trying to suggest that we are literally destroying each other – person against person, nation against nation – but it’s a moot point that our environment is a challenge that requires unity and foresight, not individual action.

Please Enter Your Facebook App ID. Required for FB Comments. Click here for FB Comments Settings page

9 comments

• How many times has the author achieved Victory Royale?

• Did the author draw that realistic-looking scene from Fortnite at the the top of the article?

• Hey Noah,
    Do you want to get breakfast tomorrow?

• The unanimous Declaration of the thirteen united States of America, When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature’s God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.–That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, –That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.–Such has been the patient sufferance of these Colonies; and such is now the necessity which constrains them to alter their former Systems of Government. The history of the present King of Great Britain is a history of repeated injuries and usurpations, all having in direct object the establishment of an absolute Tyranny over these States. To prove this, let Facts be submitted to a candid world.

He has refused his Assent to Laws, the most wholesome and necessary for the public good.

He has forbidden his Governors to pass Laws of immediate and pressing importance, unless suspended in their operation till his Assent should be obtained; and when so suspended, he has utterly neglected to attend to them.

He has refused to pass other Laws for the accommodation of large districts of people, unless those people would relinquish the right of Representation in the Legislature, a right inestimable to them and formidable to tyrants only.

He has called together legislative bodies at places unusual, uncomfortable, and distant from the depository of their public Records, for the sole purpose of fatiguing them into compliance with his measures.

He has dissolved Representative Houses repeatedly, for opposing with manly firmness his invasions on the rights of the people.

He has refused for a long time, after such dissolutions, to cause others to be elected; whereby the Legislative powers, incapable of Annihilation, have returned to the People at large for their exercise; the State remaining in the mean time exposed to all the dangers of invasion from without, and convulsions within.

He has endeavoured to prevent the population of these States; for that purpose obstructing the Laws for Naturalization of Foreigners; refusing to pass others to encourage their migrations hither, and raising the conditions of new Appropriations of Lands.

He has obstructed the Administration of Justice, by refusing his Assent to Laws for establishing Judiciary powers.

He has made Judges dependent on his Will alone, for the tenure of their offices, and the amount and payment of their salaries.

He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harrass our people, and eat out their substance.

He has kept among us, in times of peace, Standing Armies without the Consent of our legislatures.

He has affected to render the Military independent of and superior to the Civil power.

He has combined with others to subject us to a jurisdiction foreign to our constitution, and unacknowledged by our laws; giving his Assent to their Acts of pretended Legislation:

For Quartering large bodies of armed troops among us:

For protecting them, by a mock Trial, from punishment for any Murders which they should commit on the Inhabitants of these States:

For cutting off our Trade with all parts of the world:

For imposing Taxes on us without our Consent:

For depriving us in many cases, of the benefits of Trial by Jury:

For transporting us beyond Seas to be tried for pretended offences

For abolishing the free System of English Laws in a neighbouring Province, establishing therein an Arbitrary government, and enlarging its Boundaries so as to render it at once an example and fit instrument for introducing the same absolute rule into these Colonies:

For taking away our Charters, abolishing our most valuable Laws, and altering fundamentally the Forms of our Governments:

For suspending our own Legislatures, and declaring themselves invested with power to legislate for us in all cases whatsoever.

He has abdicated Government here, by declaring us out of his Protection and waging War against us.

He has plundered our seas, ravaged our Coasts, burnt our towns, and destroyed the lives of our people.

He is at this time transporting large Armies of foreign Mercenaries to compleat the works of death, desolation and tyranny, already begun with circumstances of Cruelty & perfidy scarcely paralleled in the most barbarous ages, and totally unworthy the Head of a civilized nation.

He has constrained our fellow Citizens taken Captive on the high Seas to bear Arms against their Country, to become the executioners of their friends and Brethren, or to fall themselves by their Hands.

He has excited domestic insurrections amongst us, and has endeavoured to bring on the inhabitants of our frontiers, the merciless Indian Savages, whose known rule of warfare, is an undistinguished destruction of all ages, sexes and conditions.

In every stage of these Oppressions We have Petitioned for Redress in the most humble terms: Our repeated Petitions have been answered only by repeated injury. A Prince whose character is thus marked by every act which may define a Tyrant, is unfit to be the ruler of a free people.

Nor have We been wanting in attentions to our Brittish brethren. We have warned them from time to time of attempts by their legislature to extend an unwarrantable jurisdiction over us. We have reminded them of the circumstances of our emigration and settlement here. We have appealed to their native justice and magnanimity, and we have conjured them by the ties of our common kindred to disavow these usurpations, which, would inevitably interrupt our connections and correspondence. They too have been deaf to the voice of justice and of consanguinity. We must, therefore, acquiesce in the necessity, which denounces our Separation, and hold them, as we hold the rest of mankind, Enemies in War, in Peace Friends.

We, therefore, the Representatives of the united States of America, in General Congress, Assembled, appealing to the Supreme Judge of the world for the rectitude of our intentions, do, in the Name, and by Authority of the good People of these Colonies, solemnly publish and declare, That these United Colonies are, and of Right ought to be Free and Independent States; that they are Absolved from all Allegiance to the British Crown, and that all political connection between them and the State of Great Britain, is and ought to be totally dissolved; and that as Free and Independent States, they have full Power to levy War, conclude Peace, contract Alliances, establish Commerce, and to do all other Acts and Things which Independent States may of right do. And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

• Pls help me find a wife

• Your vulgar friends sound like they are cool guys with 100 friend’s and theyre always nice online

• fun fact the earliest yo-yos required so much computing power that they were the size of an entire room

• how can we use this tecnhology to ge tthe homeless to vote 3th party??

• It’s the damn snowflakes ruining this country